This is not just a day off, but the first time this has been a recognized holiday for our students and families during the school year. This is an important opportunity to honor our Black students and to educate our students who are learning about this special day.
- This post from Britt Hawthorne has background information as well as more links to resources you can consider using.
- Black Excellence (A read aloud on youtube.)
- Juneteenth for Mazie (A read aloud on youtube.)
- Opal Lee and What It Means to Be Free: The True Story of the Grandmother of Juneteenth(A read aloud on youtube.)
- https://artbeat.seattle.gov/2022/06/14/juneteenth2022/ and https://www.parentmap.com/article/juneteenth-events-seattle-area-families-2023